Shin-Young recently creates portraits juxtaposing ordinary, routine tasks against a backdrop of current news
articles featuring a variety of social, political and environmental issues and events.
She began studying art in her home country of South Korea, obtaining a B.F.A from Hyosung Women's
University, Daegu in 1986. She has additionally studied at the Art Students League of NY mostly under Harvey
Dinnerstein and Kenneth Mclndoe and "Cercle Artistic de Sant Lluc" in Barcelona, Spain after she received her
M.F.A in painting from The Graduate School of Figurative Art of the New York Academy of Art in 2001. Her work influenced by many great artists included Eric Fischl & Patrick Connors.
An's work had solo exhibitions at the M. Christina Geis Gallery of Georgian Court University in 2010, at the
Monmouth Museum in 2009, Greenwich Village in 2007 and "La Bolsa" gallery in Barcelona, Spain in 2004,
and about 80 juried and invitational group exhibitions throughout the USA, Spain, Japan and S. Korea since
she immigrated to the USA in 1995.
Awards & Recognitions
- 2011 Fellowship from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts
- Best of Show in 2004-Hartland Exhibition of the City of Merriam, Kansas
- Best of Show in 2005-Focus on the Figure at Hopper House, NY
- Xavier Gonzalez & Edwards Grant in 2003 for Painting by the Artists League of NY
- approximately more than 30 awards from national and international competitions