Jivan Lee is an oil painter based in Taos & Santa Fe, NM. He grew up in Woodstock, NY, and studied painting at Bard College with Joseph Santore and Laura Battle. His work explores the nature of paint as substance, as creator of image, and as catalyst for emotional response. It has been exhibited nationally at museums and educational institutions and covered in publications such as Fine Art Connoisseur, Southwest Art, and Art Business News. Jivan is the recipient of awards for art and environmental pursuits, including an "NM-powered" grant for a thematic art project on agriculture in northern New Mexico. In addition to painting as much as time allows, Jivan directs the Project for Art and the Environment and teaches at the University of New Mexico in Taos.
Awards & Recognitions
- 2013 Invited panelist; SURFACE Exhibition, Harwood Center, Albuquerque, NM
- 2013 Invited Artist, Montgomery Museum of Fine Art 2014 Art Auction Invitational
- 2013 Finalist - Ray Mar Art Competition
- 2013 ArtSlant Showcase winner - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd showcases
- 2013 Artisan Santa Fe April "Artist of the Month"
- 2013 Best of Show (for Bella Lucia, 40" x 40"); 15th annual Masterworks of New Mexico Exhibition; Albuquerque, NM
- 2012 Award of Excellence; ¡Encantada! 2012 exhibition; Albuquerque, NM
- 2012 TheArtList "Artist of the Month," August 2012
- 2012 Art Business News Magazine's "Work of the Week"
- 2012 ArtSlant Showcase winner - 3rd and 4th showcases